So it’s the end of our sailing season, and the last in the UK for who knows how long. We have been really pleased with the new genoa and decided to take it down to protect it during the winter. Unfortunately I hadn’t noticed the razor sharp edge at the bottom of the track near the drum assembly of our Harken system. As the sail was lowered, the luff tape sliced straight down through it.
Luckily I stopped the sail from lowering completely which would’ve meant a very expensive repair, so Kemp Sails did a stellar job within 24 hours !
Its now safely stored in the lock up we have rented for the winter at the marina, which is filling up rather quickly too.
The only other new additions to date are replacement swing out davits and a bowsprit pole…. oh and a 40″ smart tv !
When we had the arch made, we agreed to have the davits made in 38mm stainless steel, but in hindsight this has been too thin and we noticed an unacceptable bend when the Rib & engine was lifted together. The davits are now 50mm diameter with a much thicker wall size so problem solved.
When I look back to when I first started this blog I naively said we had very little to do to Silhouette to get her ready for our adventure…… never underestimate what needs doing !
There’s a sea survival course to fit in along with plenty of paperwork to organize, along with a full inventory of spares to decide on. We have decided to fit a new Lecomble & Schmitt autopilot system exactly the same as we have now and keep the original as a fully working spare. There is no doubt the autopilot will get plenty of use so it makes sense to carry another as they aren’t available “on the shelf” everywhere.
At this rate we will need to raise the waterline again 🙂